When it comes to cryptocurrency, questions abound: What can you purchase with crypto? How can you buy it? Is crypto a passing fad or an innovation that will stand the test of time? In this episode of the Faegre Drinker on Law and Technology Podcast, host Jason G. Weiss sits down with Faegre Drinker’s Jeffrey Blumberg and former Orange County District Attorney Rahul Gupta, a cybercrime prosecutor with experience in cryptocurrency criminal litigation, to talk all things cryptocurrency.
The conversation covers a number of questions, including:
- What is cryptocurrency? Why does it matter? How does it differ from traditional “fiat” currencies?
- How is crypto different from other types of digital currencies? Is this a new phenomenon?
- It is often said that cryptocurrency is used frequently for criminal activities, especially cyberattacks. Why is crypto the payment of choice for cyber criminals?
- Why do some governments see crypto as a threat? How should we view the surge in efforts to regulate crypto?
- What is “blockchain” and how does it relate to cryptocurrencies (like Bitcoin)?
- Finally, are cryptocurrencies a fad? Or are they here to stay?